Okanagan’s Green Hotel
The Best Western Plus Kelowna Hotel & Suites and its’ staff are concerned with the health of the planet we all share. We will do everything that is economically possible, without infringing on guest comfort or staff health, to ensure compliance with the toughest environmental standards available. We will endeavor to reduce our emissions of greenhouse gases by using alternative non-polluting technologies where possible. We will encourage our guests to recycle by providing blue boxes in the rooms and lead by example.
solar hybrid water-heating system
In 2002, we started our first project to invest in the future and install an extensive and advanced solar hybrid water-heating system, one of the largest in Canada, thus preventing 90 tonnes per year of greenhouse gases that would have otherwise gone into the atmosphere from burning natural gas. This solar system heats up to 90 % of the water for the hotel’s indoor swimming pool, 2 hot tubs and 154 guest rooms during the four summer months.
Electric vehicle charging stations
For guests who are travelling with hybrid or fully electric vehicles, we have installed three charging stations in our parking lot so you don’t have to go far to find a plug.
Since our first installation in June 2012, we have seen the increase demand for green energy. We are proud to own 5 electric vehicle charging stations from ChargePoint and 8 Tesla Superchargers.
For more information, please read our press release:
Kelowna Hotel’s Guests Checking In and Plugging In
Awards & Recognitions
- 2011 – Present TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence
- 2015 Eco Base Certified
- 2015 TripAdvisor Hall of Fame—recognition of receiving the TripAdvisor “Certificate of Excellence’ for five consecutive years
- 2014 TripAdvisor GreenLeaders Gold Winner
- 2013 Green Tourism Gold Winner
- 2013 LivClean & EcoStay Carbon Neutral Certification – Offset 228% of hotel’s annual footprint
- 2012 LivClean & EcoStay Carbon Neutral Certification – Offset 276% of hotel’s annual footprint
- 2012 City of Kelowna Mayor’s Environmental Innovation Award Nominee
- 2012 LEED Silver Certification for Environmental Wing
- 2012 Hotel Association of Canada’s Green Global Green Meetings Certification
- 2011 LivClean & EcoStay Carbon Neutral Certification – Offset 295% of hotel’s annual footprint
- 2010 Kelowna Chamber of Commerce Green Business Sustainability Leader of the Year Award
- 2010 Environmental Wing Open
- 2009 Partnership formed EcoStay for Carbon Offsetting Program
- 2009 BC Tourism Industry Award 2nd Nomination for Environmental Responsible Tourism Award
- 2009 Climate Smart Certification
- 2009 Minister’s Environmental Award of Excellence for Climate Action
- 2009 Kelowna Chamber of Commerce Green Business Hospitality Award
- 2008 Partnership formed with Zerofootprint for Carbon Offsetting Program
- 2007 BC Tourism Industry Award Nominee for Environmental Responsible Tourism Award
- 2007 Hotel Assoc. of Canada Energy & Environmental Award
- 2006 Hotel Assoc. of Canada 4 Green Key Eco Rating designation